Nice to see these familiar friends beyond Twitter so I can comment at length. Like Bill I didn't know rapunzel - but when I discovered what it meant I loved the ku even more.
thanks, jem. i'm so glad some of my old friends still come to visit... active blogging is time consuming and i don't have much time to spare at the time (stressful job, aged parents - one fighting a terminal illness etc.) but i appreciate every comment and try to respond.
I know what you mean about the time that blogging can take. That's why my blog has been so erratic over the years (life gets in the way of poetry - my mother died, my father needs me more and more - but I guess equally it's life and its trials that give us the stuff of our poetry?). I try now to post a few things up - and visit my favourite poets - those that I feel offer me quality work that I can learn from and be delighted by. You (and Bill) count as those! It's also nice to see your name beneath pieces in Presence magazine too!
thanks again, jem. wise words from you. sorry about mother's passing. but then again, death, too, is part of life. my father doesn't have much time left, either, and although we never got along well i can't quite come to terms with the fact... damn! i very much appreciate your kind words about my work (and i'm sure Bill does, too). i'm glad it was (mostly) well received when i decided to start submitting it to journals and magazines, Presence included :)
In my experience the people that we struggle to get along with cause us the most heartache when we come to lose them. Another one of life's sick jokes?!
I think most submissions are only 'mostly' well received. I struggle endlessly to judge my own work, weigh up which pieces are stronger, try to see if my writing is improving, try to imagine which the editors might like - and I'm nearly always wrong on all counts!
7 comments:
What is a bowl of rapunzel?
sorry, guess it's a european thing (german influence, i reckon). a winter salad, probably better known as lamb's lettuce or corn salad
Nice to see these familiar friends beyond Twitter so I can comment at length. Like Bill I didn't know rapunzel - but when I discovered what it meant I loved the ku even more.
You're truly masterful at the one-liners!
thanks, jem. i'm so glad some of my old friends still come to visit... active blogging is time consuming and i don't have much time to spare at the time (stressful job, aged parents - one fighting a terminal illness etc.) but i appreciate every comment and try to respond.
I know what you mean about the time that blogging can take. That's why my blog has been so erratic over the years (life gets in the way of poetry - my mother died, my father needs me more and more - but I guess equally it's life and its trials that give us the stuff of our poetry?). I try now to post a few things up - and visit my favourite poets - those that I feel offer me quality work that I can learn from and be delighted by. You (and Bill) count as those! It's also nice to see your name beneath pieces in Presence magazine too!
thanks again, jem. wise words from you. sorry about mother's passing. but then again, death, too, is part of life. my father doesn't have much time left, either, and although we never got along well i can't quite come to terms with the fact... damn!
i very much appreciate your kind words about my work (and i'm sure Bill does, too). i'm glad it was (mostly) well received when i decided to start submitting it to journals and magazines, Presence included :)
In my experience the people that we struggle to get along with cause us the most heartache when we come to lose them. Another one of life's sick jokes?!
I think most submissions are only 'mostly' well received. I struggle endlessly to judge my own work, weigh up which pieces are stronger, try to see if my writing is improving, try to imagine which the editors might like - and I'm nearly always wrong on all counts!
Post a Comment